Monday 12 January 2015

A few books based on fairy tales...

'Once upon a time....'
Now in my final year of uni I've started to write my dissertation, the long 10,000 words piece of work everyone dreads. I thought I would pick a fun topic to keep myself amused for the next term. So my question was formed on the topic of Charles Perrualt's Little Red Riding Hood and Sleeping Beauty. During the background reading it surprised my how many novels where based on fairy tales. Here are a few I thought where interesting and/ or amusing:

1) The Book of Lost Things By John Connolly (A must read, the story is well written and captivating!)

2) The Girl with Glass Feet By Ali Shaw (Interesting plot with a not quite satisfying ending. Maybe a sequel is in order?)

3) The Night Circus By Erin Morgenstern (Good and engaging plot and sub-plots. I didn't put the book down...)

4) Ravish: The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty By Cathy Yardley (An erotic novel, interesting concept but I didn't finish it... too 'Fifty Shades'.)

5) The Snow Child By Eowyn Ivey (A nice and easy read. Very sweet story :) )

6) Beauty By Sarah Pinborough (Has to be a YA book? Still need to finish it. Unfortunately lost interest.)

And basically anything written by the literary marvel that is Angela Carter :)

I'm yet to read the Lunar Chronicles series and hope to read them soon...

There are many more books on http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/based-on-fairy-tales?
which I'm going to check out too.

Happy reading,
Sofiee

No comments:

Post a Comment